An excerpt from a story I wrote some time back…
Next day was a weekly off and I decided to take some time out in the evening for myself. After wrapping up my usual weekend tasks, I took off for a stroll on the beach close to my house. It was a peaceful evening, with sea breeze greeting me as I stepped on the cold sand. I prefer walking bare foot on sand, as every step gives you a new sensation. Moreover, when you look back you don’t see your foot print anymore. I wish it’d be the same with life. After taking a few steps on the beach with my sandals in one hand, the smell of freshly pan-toasted salted groundnuts distracted me. On a usual day, I would have bought a packet of groundnuts for 50 paise, but today I felt richer and decided to buy the bigger packet.
I looked out for a quiet corner, away from the vendors who sold bhel-puris and paani-puris, away from the ballon-wala, away from the family whose kids built sand castles. At a distance, some couples walked the length of the beach, holding hands and then there were a few who chose to play with the waves.
I finally found a spot, where I could be all by myself, with the cold breeze and the sweet music the waves made as they crashed on the shore. I sat on the sand, digging my toes in cold sand and I closed my eyes to smell the freshness around. The sea comforted me just like a mother, when her son would come back home after a hard day at work and would rest his head on her lap. And then she’d run her fingers through his hair, gently massaging his forehead and easing the stress. The sea breeze that blew through my hair had the same effect.
I never realized how time has passed; the sky had turned dark, and the beach was getting deserted. The cold sea breeze now gave me a slight shiver, leaving goosebumps over my skin. It was time for me to head back home, but promising the beach to come back again tomorrow… for a new breeze.. a new experience.
No comments:
Post a Comment